Time Flies Like...
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
  Full Circle
Here is my commentary on the different connectedness that ebbs and flows through life. There are so many people, places and experiences that happen to us over the years, and I am often amazed by the way they come back again when we aren't even looking.

In the song "Full Circle" by Storyhill (Chris Cunningham & John Hermanson) Chris talks about different events coming around full circle within themselves. Quite a good song if you ever hear the whole thing. Some of the people who might read this I know are familiar with Storyhill (Chris & Johnny as they were first known).

I first heard them play while I was a student at Wartburg College here in Waverly, Iowa. They (if I remember right) played in Players Theater and it was amazing even though I didn't know any of their songs yet. I went on to hear them many times over the years either at Wartburg or Luther, while I was still a student, until they broke up and stopped touring. Then I went to the Reunion Concert in the Twin Cities. After they got back together I have seen them in Cedar Rapids most recently, but I also have seen Chris alone in a little coffee house in Bozeman, Montana and Storyhill together at the Gallatin Gateway just outside of Bozeman. If you can't tell yet, I would say that I am a groupie and try to see them at often as I can (without, of course, spending too much money or effort at it).

I should also say that the reason I get to see them in Montana sometimes is because my parents decided that Bozeman was the place they wanted to be, and retired there. I get to go on vacation there once or twice a year if I am lucky. For those of you who don't know the background of Chris and John, they are natives of Montana and Chris is still living in Bozeman so they are playing concerts in that area fairly regularly.

All of that leads me into the story I was intending on telling here about coming full circle and connectedness. Just the fact that my parents moved into their hometown and Chris is still there is enough, but just the other day I found out that Chris and his wife moved about two blocks away from my parents house. My parents discovered this when they were at a garage sale down the street and thought that Chris looked familiar. Mom struck up a conversation by asking if his name was Chris, found out it was, and she proceeded to tell him all about how she is a big fan and they are from Iowa and her children introduced her to the music, etc...

It is like this one part of your life that was meaningful at one time, fades out of the forefront for a while, then when you aren't looking for it, there it is again.

The other full circle idea I was going to mention here is about the daughter of Martin, of the German restaurant, Martin's Brandenburg, here in Waverly, Iowa. Well, she married one of the brothers who made the video called "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." which I talked about in the first post in this blog called Time does fly.... My husband and I live about two blocks from Martin's Brandenburg. She and her husband now live in Heilbronn, Baden-Wurttemburg, Germany. I am not sure exactly where Jessica is, but I know she is in Germany, and somehow that just ties it all together for me. Into this big circle of coincidences and connectedness.

There are tons of other things that could be said along the same line, but I think you get the idea I am going for. Look into your own experiences and see what you can find that come full circle in your life. You might be surprised.
 
Comments:
a.) I think it rocks that your parents love Chris and Johnny (OK, Charlie, Storyhill).

b.) I, too, love it when things come full circle. I will be on the lookout for that in my life, and if I find anything blogworthy, I'll follow suit.

c.)I live pretty far from Heilbronn, but only about 15 kilometers from Brandenburg! What is Martin's Brandenburg, actually? :-)

d.) Germany is about the size of Montana. That's almost a full-circle thing all by itself!
 
Martin's Brandenburg is a German resaurant here in Waverly. Very tasty food, and since Martin was trained in Germany, it may even be pretty authentic.
 
I love that song - one of my many started-but-never finished blog posts is about the Reunion rendition of it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." ~Groucho Marx

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

Trying to be a good mommy, while still having some fun.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / January 2007 / January 2008 / August 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]