Time Flies Like...
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
  Play the piano like you walk across the room.
Yesterday in my piano lesson (Yes, I am taking piano lessons at the ripe young age of 27. Better late than never, right?) my instructor told me that I had trouble with my rhythm. Me? Trouble with rhythm? I always thought that I had pretty good rhythm seeing as how I grew up with music. I played cello as a young girl, flute and piccolo until I went to college, sang in various church choirs and played handbells. Well, apparently I have trouble when I try to play chords and melody and read the music all at the same time.

I figure that since I have only been taking the lessons for a little over two weeks, I am entitled to still suck a little bit. I was playing When the Saints go Marching In and having trouble switching from the C chord to the F and G7 while playing the melody with the other hand and having the whole thing flow well. Keep in mind that I had only played the piece a few times before the lesson and I hadn't worked out all the kinks yet. Also, the only reason I was playing it at all was because I had worked ahead in the book because I was bored with what I had been assigned. I made the mistake of mentioning that, and so she decided that I must be proficient since I had worked on it.

She told me that I needed to practice the song until I could play the piano like I walk across the room. I need to keep my rhythm. No more of this pausing to figure out the notes I am trying to play.

Sometimes I think life is a little bit like that for me. I keep pausing to figure out what the next thing is and the best way to get there. I miss out on the spontaneity and joy that I might find if I just would take things as they come, and keep on moving. If only I could play the piano like I walk across the room.
 
Comments:
You are totally entitled to suck for a while! Embrace the suckiness! And good for you for looking ahead to find something interesting to play... live in the moment, YES, but if you're bored, by all means find something that intrigues you. :-)
 
I always thought the whole point of learning piano was that you didn't have to walk anywhere with it.

Wasn't there an Animaniacs good idea/bad idea on this subject?
 
I think it was:
Good idea, "Playing the flute in the marching band."
Bad idea, "Playing the Piano in the marching band."
It's more humorious if you see the visuals while you hear the words.

For instance:
Good idea, "Whistle while you work."
Bad idea, "Whistle while you eat."
Not very funny, but if you see the cartoon it's hilarious.

I digress. I think this is what you get for being an over achiever. When you raise expectations people expect more. Then you are forced to produce.
 
"Embrace the suckiness" is from Keeping the Faith. Are we still playing the quote game?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." ~Groucho Marx

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

Trying to be a good mommy, while still having some fun.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / January 2007 / January 2008 / August 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]