Time Flies Like...
Friday, June 17, 2005
  "Speaking in Quotes"

There is something to be said about those people (who we all know... Charlie, Mark, etc....) who can hear something once and then commence endlessly quoting what they just heard and enjoying the experience again. I am not one of those people. I have the worst memory of anyone I know, I think. That is why Google and other resources like that are such wonderful things.

Therefore, I have used the "Google" and found a few quotes that I like, or that are following the theme this blog has taken, even though I didn't plan it that way. I won't put who said them right away (a game anyone?) and I am sure that some of the people who might read this will be able to guess them.

1. "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." ~ "Ford", Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(Joel is on the right track with HHGG. Now, who said it? and when? Greg is right, Ford said this to Arthur in the pub before the Vogons destroy the Earth. Arthur is complaining about not wanting to drink three pints before lunchtime. Welcome, Greg!)

2. "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~John Lennon, Beautiful Boy

(Charlie was the first to correctly answer that John Lennon said this, but he also informed me that he said it in "Beautiful Boy", which I didn't know. Mark and Jessica also answered correctly.)

3. "The only reason time is so that everything does not happen at once" ~Albert Einstein

(Mark correctly answered that this was said by the really smart guy, Albert Einstein.)

4. "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." ~John Lennon

(Yea! Charlie is right! Through process of elimination. Way to go everyone!)

Two of the quotes were said by the same person, one was written as fiction and one was said by a really smart guy.

Good luck! I will (to copy what Charlie did) post the answers as people guess. It will not be as fun as Charlie's games, but I can only be who I am, even if that means not being as cool as my friends.

I also found this last quote, which I thought was very poignant and I should take the idea to heart a bit more, but since it was an unknown person who said it, I didn't think it was fair to have in the game.

"Who plants trees although he knows he'll never sit in their shadows has at least begun to recognize the sense of life." ~ Anonymous

 
Comments:
#2 is John Lennon. From "Beautiful Boy", I think. Cagey of you to try to pre-establish your game as less fun, but I'm already enjoying getting to play so youre out there. Sorry.
 
I have seen John Lennon quoted as saying #2. So I will guess John Lennon for #2.

Second, I will guess Albert Einstein for #3, and play the odds game and guess ol' Al for #1 and #4 too.
 
#1 is from somewhere in the Hitchhiker's trilogy, I think.
 
Man, I only knew #2, too. But I am quite enjoying the theme! :-)
 
You don't know me, but I can't resist an HHGG quote! #1 was spoken by Ford to Arthur, when they're both in the pub right before the Vogons destroy the Earth. "Very deep," replies Arthur. "You should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They have a page for people like you." The same lines are in both the books and the radio show.

Now that I've established myself as a complete nerd, off I go then...
 
So, by process of elimination then, if #3 was the really smart guy and #1 written in a work of fiction, #4 must also be John Lennon.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." ~Groucho Marx

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

Trying to be a good mommy, while still having some fun.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / January 2007 / January 2008 / August 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]